Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The proof is in the pudding


Yesterday, I drove to Augusta, to pick up my proofs from the printer. It was a strange, but exhilarating feeling, holding that which will be my book.

The proof is basically the actual cover, which is loose, and sections of the book, in page order, stapled together in sections (in my case, 10 seperate ones). It really helps the author to see how the final product will look.

I had a few concerns about how my actual font was going to look and about my photos. Other than two, which are a little dark (the original resolution wasn't high enough), they reproduced very well. The text looks great and other than a few minor typos that I'm finding, things are shaping up for the book's release.

I haven't received my printing date as of yet, but the target for me to return the proofs is Friday and I know that I'll have it back to J.S. McCarthy (my printer) before that. The folks at JSM have been absolutely fantastic! I could have gone with a cheaper printer (although their estimate was in the ballpark with some of the bargain printers), but I would have ended up with a book that was inferior. Their customer service and attention to detail has been reassuring. Being that When Towns Had Teams is my first go-round at publishing, having the extra support was beneficial.

I think it's safe to say that I'll have books in early September and those who have placed orders should be receiving books in about 3-4 weeks, if not before that.

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty stoked right now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jim!

The cover looks great! I can't wait to read this book. I guess I should pre-order the book online to get one of those signed numbered books.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Proofs are exciting. You must be so psyched.

If you don't mind unsolicited advice, I highly recommend having someone else read your proofs, if you can. When you've read a manuscript umpteen to one hundred times, your eyes will pass over some ridiculous typos sometimes, but someone else might catch them. It happens to the best (and mediocre) of us.

-timothy j lambert

Jim said...

Thanks for the props, Rhonda. Yes, definitely pre-order and get that signed and numbered edition (sure to fetch you a pretty penny on E-Bay someday).

Timothy, I hear you about having others proof the MS. Thanks for stopping by, also.