Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Interviews with authors and dreams of ice cream trucks

I'm a sucker for interviews, particularly with authors and rock stars. Well, maybe not rock stars, but musicians that are more adept than my three-chord contributions to the rock pantheon.

I happened to be visiting the website of Mr. Everyday Yeah and stumbled upon his amazing interview with an amazingly unique writer, Mark Danielewski. I say this, having never ever read any of his books, but based upon this interview alone, I'm going to immediately seek out a Danielewski novel today (I won't find it today, as none of my local bookstores have it, so I'll be forced to wait until I hit the big city of Portland). That's what great interviews do.

Speaking of interviews, I heard etown for the first time, Sunday night, while working on Moxietown. Nick Forster, a great interviewer in his own right, was speaking with Todd Park Mohr, of Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Mohr is a provocative thinker--articulate and able to craft his interesting ideas in a compelling way--a real change from so many empty-headed "stars" that dominate much of our pop culture.

Back to Mr. EDY, he doesn't know it, but a city council member in Portland, Kevin Donoghue, is going after ice cream trucks. Maybe someday, ice cream trucks will be relegated to junkyards, on the edge of town, with bums living in them, dreaming of Rainbow Pop-ups. Then, all we'll have left is Ice Cream Truck Days, No More!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to blow sand onto anyone's freeze pop here, but I'm pretty sure ice cream trucks are evil.
http://www.marklaflamme.com/Ice%20cream.htm

Jim said...

I saw an ice cream truck (actually, it was a van) in Lewiston the other day that frightened even me, and I'm down with ice cream trucks.

I might even go as far as saying that the dude driving it looked like he might be evil.