Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Twitter babble

Mashable, a site that bills itself as "the social media guide," indicates that "40.55% of tweets are pointless babble." Gee, that's a surprise.

I thought about titling my post, "Tower of Babble," which is a reference to the biblical Tower of Babel, about how God confounded the languages of the earth's people and scattered them throughout the earth, in response to an attempt to build a vast tower for "the glory of man." I reconsidered, primarily because I'm listening to Stephen Prothero's Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know--And Doesn't on CD. Prothero's book bemoans America's lack of religious knowledge, even among those who consider themselves Xians. I figured that dropping the TOB reference would land with a "thud."

BTW, Prothero is on Twitter, babbling along with all the other twit(terers)s, myself included, helping to hold up the 59.45% end of the platform that's not pointless.

No comments: