Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Small beers and small presses



I don’t know much about Small Beer Press, other than Book Dwarf dropped a reference to them, and I thought I’d Google them. Oh--they hail from Northampton, MA, best known as the setting for Tracy Kidder's Home Town.

They are a publisher of fiction and fantasy, and they appear to have a fairly substantial catalogue of interesting books, like this one.

Apparently Maureen F. McHugh is a big deal, as she uses her middle initial in her name, and also lumps mothers in with monsters, of which, given the technologically-fueled death of imagination, there seems to be a dearth of these days, other than the run-of-the-mill creations of modern Hollywood. According to the blurb from McHugh's book, mothers and monsters have become one and the same.

I liked this title because I could alter it to read, The Baum(er) Plan for Financial Independence, of which I’ve been spending some time launching.

Since I’ve spent my life evading money at all costs, I thought it time to begin laying up some resources for my later years. Not that picking up bottles on the side of some abandoned highway, in a post-apocalyptic world doesn’t sound romantic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? I was under the impression there'd be Schaefer's in here. Man, Schaefer's. Remember when you could buy an 18 pack for like five bucks? It really is the one to have when you're having more than one.
I think Jim said something about a publishing group, too. I'll go check that out after I've quenched this thirst.

Jim said...

Can you even buy Schaefer Beer in NE anymore? They used to be a big sponsor of Boston Red Sox baseball, long before NESN turned baseball into a three-hour commercial for their "branding" of RSN nation, DVD's, and Jerry Remy paraphernalia.

You obviously had that jingle seared into your memory, also.

Cheap beers like Schaefer might be the only ones that you can afford to have more than one of. When faced with a choice of paying the same price for a six-pack of some micro, thicker than motor oil in January, or a suitcase of 30 of watered-down pilsner, like Schaefer's that all true Americans appreciate, the choice is easy. It's go for the gusto.

With all the doom and gloom high gasoline stories, why don't you see if your editor will let you do one on how gas prices are forcing Mainers to abandon their Geary's, or Shipyard tastes, and summer steaks on the grill, and settling for PBR and red hot dogs instead.