Monday, February 25, 2008

It's Nader time!

America’s perennial third-party candidate, Ralph Nader, entered the 2008 presidential sweepstakes, on Sunday.

News reports classified Nader as a “consumer advocate,” but it’s been years since the 74-year-old has advocated for anything other than his own narcissistic visions of grandeur.

This will be Nader’s fifth run for president. His top finish in the previous two runs for the top office in the land was 2.7 percent of the vote.

Nader’s reason for running this time is couched in high-minded terms; Nader says its time for a “Jeffersonian revolution;” I’m not quite sure what that means, knowing that he’ll be lucky to top the less than 1 percent of the total vote that he garnered in 2004. No doubt, he’ll get some votes from the cloud of activists that have trouble getting up before noon, to carry their protest signs down to the courthouse square. But a revolution requires a few more votes than that.

Predictably, the two Democrats weren’t pleased, as their party is the one that will be most affected in the general, by any votes that Nader receives. Obama, who has greater pull on the far left, stands to be hurt the most, if Nader’s “piss in the wind” measures up to be anything other than Ralph being Ralph.

“He thought that there was no difference between Al Gore and George Bush and, eight years later, I think people realize that Ralph did not know what he was talking about,” Senator Barack Obama said a town-hall meeting Sunday, according to CNN.

I’m open to anyone running who thinks they can make a difference but really, Ralph, your time has passed. You’re 74 and a relic of the 60s. As nostalgic as I tend to be, the issues are bigger than exploding Corvairs and tilting at nuclear reactors.

Go home, install that solar panel on your roof and leave the horserace to more relevant figures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely said my friend! I was initially a little concerned by his candidacy, but it looks like it's just more of the same. As much as I think the country would benefit from a third publicly-funded party, the political climate (and every other climate) are just too sensitive this season to muddy the water.

I channeled my concern in the form of an inquiry to his web staff - a long-winded, question-rich, request that will hopefully help deplete some of his resources.

Jb

Jim said...

Please let me know if Mr. Nader's web staff respond to your long-winded, question-rich, request. Too funny!

On an unrelated note, can anyone let me know if the anonymous note with the "blocked" script is just plain gibberish, or a foreign communication I'm unfamiliar with.

Before deleting, I want to make sure I'm not removing some important communique from outer space, sent from a civilization that's selected me as their point of contact, possibly channeling their intentions for the November elections.